Monday, June 29, 2009

Summer of Sewing List

Okay . . . here's my list of projects so far - these are in no particular order

New tunic for Renton
Velvet tunic for Renton
Drawers for Renton (I'm not 100% sure bout this)
New dress for Emily
Fancy dress for Emilly
Hoop for Emily

New corset
Corded petticoat
Cage Crinoline
Silk dress of some kind
New petticoats
Pockets on apron
Pockets on work dress
Re-do armholes in burnt orange work dress
Pinafore style apron
Mourning dress (???)
Sheer dress
Winter paletot

Sunday, June 28, 2009

New Market

Just to get the "flavor" out there, I'll include a few recent pictures of me and the kids (Renton, Emily and Micky). . . .

The fuschia dress, alas, I did not make although the idea of it has been in my head for years. It was a stunning creation by Anna Allen (of The Graceful Lady). I made Emily's dress and underthings, and the apron is an original.

This is Micky in an original white gown. He looks like the little angel he is here. (And, yes, I know the buggy is too late for this time period. (New mother's will hopefully sympathize - sometimes you just gotta make due the best you can :)

Renton's outfit was his first out of a tunic - I was/am not thrilled with it. My original plan was nickers, vest and jacket based on an original pattern. However, I ran out of fabric (as usually happens when I am creating from scraps at 2am). So the vest became the jacket with the addition of sleeves. The result is that the armholes are too vertical, the neckline is too low and the front closure isn't really right for a jacket.

In the end, I still prefer the tunic style for Renton anyway and will probably make another one for him this summer - one of my many projects!

Our shoes after New Market. Just couldn't resist - this is such a funny picture. It was soooo muddy! I thougt I had ruined my new silk dress. Tried to wash it by hand and almost did ruin it (watered silk was not the look I was going for). But took it to the drycleaners and it came right back to it's original look - whew!

Summer of Sewing

Okay - I've decided to finally tackle all my sewing projects (well, as many as I can) this summer! I am also going to attempt to blog about them. Since I've never done this before, I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, but I'm going to give it a shot.

We've been rearranging everything in the house and I haven't been able to really get to any of my projects until tonight. So my first project out of the box was a "Lancer Jacket" by Heidi Marsh. I have had this jacket cut out now for almost two years and have never gotten around to finishing it. So tonight after I got the kids to bed I ran downstairs, pulled it out and went to town. Now . . . it is almost done. All I have to do is sew the lining to the shell and add buttons and button holes. I am not putting any boning in it, and did not pipe any seams. The version I am making is meant to be an informal jacket. I used a faux quilted cotton with a large blue floral print on a cream background. So far, I like it a lot!

Oh! Also realized that this pattern is EXACTLY the pattern of an orange wool jacket I just purchased from a sutler last weekend at Old Bedford Village! Ha! I knew I liked it.

Will post some pictures later.